Figuring on Fraud

200
Cropped shot of a medical professional filling out paperwork

Fraudsters typically don’t have the best math skills. April Lynn Brown, 47, of Las Vegas, Nev., was hoping that Medicaid auditors would not notice the nearly $500,000 she tried to illegally siphon from the government healthcare program. Unfortunately for her, they noticed her figures didn’t add up and figured she was lying.

Brown was owner of Dynamic Minds Family Services, LLC, a company that provided Rehabilitative Mental Health (RMH) services. Apparently, the state’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit (MFCU) received a tip that Brown, who was a licensed Qualified Mental Health Professional, submitted bogus claims to Nevada Medicaid stating that she provided more than 24 hours of RMH service to Medicaid beneficiaries each day over several months. (She was a dynamic, bold-faced liar.)

Brown got lucky and received a suspended sentence for committing Medicaid fraud. She was placed on probation for two years and will have to perform 150 hours of community service. Her company was ordered to pay $499,848 in restitution. (I’m guessing if she ever tries this stunt again, she will not be allowed to participate as a Medicaid or Medicare provider in the future. The real question is, should she even be allowed to have a second chance?)

Here’s a bit of interesting information — the MFCU receives 75 percent of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award. The other 25 percent is funded by the State of Nevada. When fraudsters try to exploit Federal healthcare programs for their own financial gain, it costs taxpayers (that’s you and me) billions of dollars and puts our most vulnerable citizens at risk. Thanks to the MFCU, this woman who really didn’t care about serving her patients, has been put out of business.

Today’s Fraud of the Day comes from an article, “Woman gets probation in felony Medicaid scheme; company ordered to pay nearly $500K,” published by 8NewsNow Las Vegas March 17, 2021.

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — A Las Vegas woman was given a suspended sentence on Wednesday and placed on probation for two years for her part in a felony scheme to defraud Medicaid, according to Nevada Attorney General Aaron D. Ford.

April Lynn Brown, 47, was convicted of submitting false claims to Medicaid. Her 12- to 24-month prison sentence was suspended, but she was ordered to perform 150 hours of community service. Her company, Dynamic Minds Family Services, LLC, was ordered to pay $499,848 in restitution.

 

 

 

 

SHARE
Previous articleThe Stakes Are High
Next articleThe Bigger They Are, The Harder They Fall

Larry Benson, Senior Director of Strategic Alliances, LexisNexis Risk Solutions - Government

Larry Benson is responsible for developing strategic partnerships and solutions for the government vertical. His expertise focuses on how government programs are defrauded by criminal groups, and the approaches necessary to prevent them from succeeding.

Mr. Benson has 30 years of experience in sales and business development. Before joining LexisNexis® Risk Solutions, he spent 12 years founding and managing two software technology startups. During the 1990s he spent 10 years as a Regional Director helping to grow a New England-based technology company from 300 employees to 7,000. He started his career with Martin Marietta Aerospace working on laser guided weapons and day/night vision systems.

A sought-after speaker and accomplished writer, Mr. Benson is the principal author of “Fraud of the Day,” a website dedicated to educating government officials about how criminals are defrauding government programs. He has co-authored WTF? Where’s the Fraud? How to Unmask and Stop Identity Fraud’s Drain on Our Government, and Data Personified, How Fraud is Changing the Meaning of Identity.

Benson holds a Bachelor of Science in Physics from Albright College, and earned two graduate degrees – a Master of Business Administration from Florida Institute of Technology, and a Master of Science in Engineering from Lehigh University.